Your Home Sold!
It’s finally here – MOVING DAY! Hopefully everything has gone smoothly, but chances are you’ve hit some bumps in the road. However, you stayed on course and kept moving forward and it paid off, because you are now ready to “move” on to your next chapter. Here is a checklist of things to be aware of and keep in mind when your big day finally arrives.
- Inventory your possessions and decide what you’re going to take to your new home.
- Research your moving options and decide if you’re going to move on your own or use professional moving services.
- Contact a few trustworthy movers and request an in-house estimation of your relocation costs. If you’ve decided on a DIY move, contact several truck rental companies and compare their rates and conditions.
- Review your finances and designate your moving budget.
- Notify all the relevant people and institutions of your move: your landlord (if you’re a renter), employer, family physician, children’s school (if applicable), and bank, for starters.
- Start looking for a trustworthy health provider and a good school for your kids in your new city.
- Schedule your move and book your chosen moving company (or book a rental truck of appropriate size for the day of your move).
- Get rid of unwanted items. Organize a moving sale, sell items online, donate them to charity, or give them away to relatives and friends.
- Obtain packing supplies and start packing the items you won’t need before moving day. Make sure you don’t pack any non allowable items.
- Cancel subscriptions to delivery services and memberships to clubs and organizations.
- Change your address with the United States Postal Service.
- Transfer utilities — arrange for services in your old home to be disconnected the day after your move. Contact service providers in your new city to have utilities running in your new home on move-in day.
- Reserve a parking place for the moving truck (directly in front of the entrance to your home) and an elevator for the time of your move (if applicable).
- Hire a sitter to look after your children and/or pets on moving day (if necessary).
- Check if you’ve paid all the bills, picked up your clothes from the dry cleaners, returned library books and borrowed items, etc.
- Have a good night’s rest and get up early in the morning to have enough time for last-minute moving tasks.
- Double-check your home for forgotten items.
- Clean your old home, lock it safely, and bid it farewell. The time has come to set foot on the road to your new life!
Ready To Take The Next Step?
If you are ready to take the next step towards your buying or selling goals, please provide your information and I will reach out to you right away.